Tuesday, May 12, 2015

"It's a String Thing" #91 Tiles

We celebrated fives this week in "It's a String Thing" #91 to honor Linda Farmer's TanglePatterns fifth anniversary.  We used my string based on the Roman numeral five and three related tangles.  To add to the theme, yesterday's Mother's Day date was "all about the fives" - May 10, 2015 or
5-10-15.   Let's take a look at the results ~


The first tile arrived from Brie Zobel ~
Really liked the string with the selected tangles this week. They meshed quite well. Once I looked up the various tangles, the entire Zentangle easily formed in my mind. I'm very pleased with this one.
While a Zentangle is supposed to be viewed by any angle, the entire time I was working this, I worked top down with the string as given. Upon finishing it, there was much more balance flipping it on its head.

I kept the shading minimal on this, I think it really highlights the very geometric, almost art-decoish nature of the tile.

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful assessment of her shading
*a Zin triangle
*Vano circles in 2-n-5



From Talia Maynard ~
I love the simplicity of this week's string and I decided to take on a monotangle of Vano. I may have gotten a little carried away with this one and have ended up with a slightly psychedelic tile, but it was fun!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*monotangle  turned ZIA with the addition of vibrant colors
*change in direction of the detail lines
*sparkled centers


From Ilse Lukken ~
Here's my entry for this week! You can find it on my blog as well
Tangled Tidbits -
*large 2-n-5
*horizontally shaded 2-n-5
*wonderful white circle accented by black, shaded, and lined spaces of Vano


With "lovely greets" from Carmela ~
I liked this V string and the patterns fitt very well.
It was very relaxing and zen to draw this tile.
Thanks again.
On my blog
Tangled Tidbits - 
*angled 2-n-5
*Zin shaded at the points
*jewel like center of Vano



From Sarah Antoinette~
This challenge I enjoyed and wished I was better at using space to have used all three somehow. But it was a good exercise and fun to do as usual! [on my blog]
Tangled Tidbits -
*tangled on gray paper, highlighted and shaded
*Vano tucked under one string line and pushed out passed another
*white Zin triangles


From Lori Byerly~
I love celebrations! So nice to celebrate both TanglePatterns.com and Cinco de Mayo in one big splash of 5's.
You can find my tile here also. 


Tangled Tidbits -
*Vano incorporated with Zin and 2-n-5
*2-n-5 circles
*fabulous shading 


Daniel Lamothe sent this tile~
With my thoughts and prayers for those affected by today's tornadoes.
*
And a few days later followed up with this ~
First, I have to apologize for the less-than-optimal quality of the photos...this was such a fun challenge ^_^ After the somewhat somber tone of my first submission, here are some lighter-hearted ones. To me, the string just screamed to have the tangles the deconstruct in the middle and regroup on the sides. The first tile just uses Zin, with the string turned upside down. It so reminded me of "London Bridge is Falling Down" that I just had to add some stick figures. Unfortunately at this quality you can't really see the details. Oh well. The second tile just uses 2-N-5 and a "tile-within–a-tile." Such fun! ^_^

Tangled Tidbits -
*spiraled 2-n-5
*playful idea for 2-n-5 and Zin


From Audrie Weisenfelder ~
This one was surprisingly easy.
On my blog
Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful white on black
*grid lines of 2-n-5 and Zin radiate from Vano
*curved grid lines aura from 2-n-5

From Lily Moon ~
Tangled Tidbits - 
*gorgeous variations of the tangles
*deep black spaces for Vano with light accents
*Zin in rare form with curved lines and perfs


From K.Bish ~
Enclosed please find my newest tangle " Sunshine on my Shoulders" I loved this tangle.
Thank you!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*three 2-n-5 tangleations
*lighter tangels to one side
*accents of gray marker

From Ragged Ray~
After last week's clunky efforts things went more smoothly this time. The tangles were all in a friendly mood, happy to talk to each other and tell me what they wanted me to do with them. 2-N-5 fancied the most change - it sort of sucked itself together to create a more dense tangle. Zin wanted to be liberated from a grid and be given the crowning spot at the top of the tile. And lovely Vano was happy to hold up the entire structure. And there it all was. Like a pennant hanging still in the air. Apt at this time of suspense as we in the UK wait to see what form of new government we have voted in!
Tangled Tidbits -
*an elegant description of her tile
*dense and dainty lines for 2-n-5
*sublime shading and sparkle


A very warm welcome to Tina Kirchhübel ~
It's the first time for me that I draw a tile for a challenge. I already read your blog for a few weeks but never find the time to participate. But this week I wanted to try and that's the result.
Best regards from Saxony in Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*two tangleations of Vano in opposing corners
*super shading
*a 'V' of Zin beautifully outlined and shaded

From Tabitha Barnett ~
Thanks for the awesome challenge again! Generally, when I sit down to do any of the challenges, I have to think about it for a while. This one was different, it just flowed out of me! I'm not sure that you can actually say that I used ZIN, but there's elements of it in there. I'm looking forward to the other entries, as usual. Thanks again for your wonderful challenge and for taking the time to respond to each entry, I love that. You can check out my other tangles on pinterest, if you'd like Tabby's Tangles..comments, critiques and followers are always welcome and very appreciated!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Zin in Vano
*carefully aura-ed dark triangles of Vano
*lovely shading


From Sidney Kapinos ~
This week's challenge proved to be very challenging indeed. I had not drawn any of the three tangles before. It took some thought to figure out how to arrange the tangles in the string. At last I remembered an illustration in Sandy Bartholomew's "Yoga For Your Brain" where she flipped the fill colors for a tangle, and this inspired me. In her tangle Zusafürn, she alternated the fill colors based on a grid, but for Vano I chose to flip the colors based on the boundaries of the string. It was a lot of fun and I'm pleased with the result. My entry for It's A String Thing #91 is attached.
Looking forward to seeing all of this week's tiles.

Tangled Tidbits -
*great adaptation of Sandy's suggestion
*pleasing balance of light and dark
*2-n-5 circles congregating on the outskirts of Zin


A very warm welcome to Shirleen Long~


Tangled Tidbits -
*dynamic dimension achieved with shading and stipple
*curved lines for 2-n-5
*vibrant Vano


From Beth Broadway~
Whew, after a few tiles, I still needed more work...but here is the submission. 2 N 5 was my challenging tangle for this one...Thanks for shoving me out of comfort zone

Tangled Tidbits -
*stippled center of Vano
*dark circles and dots for 2-n-5


From Joanne Hawes ~
I'm having fun with the 5 thing this week. Wow tanglepatterns.com is 5. Happy birthday ( be lost without it!) . It's also my 5th wedding anniversary today more 5's :). So these tangles were all new to me I'm liking vano can see more possibilities for that one.
I really need to practise grid based patterns any tips for making the triangle (& diamond based) grids?? As you can see my zin has ended up with 2 different triangles (? Hehe I don't know how?, but I prefer the 'longer' triangles on the right).
Looking forward to next week not long until the 100th one exciting !

Tangled Tidbits -
*Happy 5th Anniversary!
*2-n-5 tucked into Vano
*alternating dark and dimensional triangles for Zin


From Kerstin Schreck ~
here`s my entry for the challenge #91. I had a lot of fun to draw three patterns I`ve never drawn before. :)
You can find my tangle also on my blog.

Tangled Tidbits-
*a dream catcher look for Vano
*sparkled perf string line
*rows of 2-n-5 make the simple tangle shine



From Carol Bourret ~
Am thinking some beautiful calligraphy would have looked great here, but the important thing was to say "Thank You!" to Linda for a fabulous website.
And once again, thank you for the opportunity to give our creative brain cells a good s-t-r-e-t-c-h.
Tangled Tidbits-
*a wonderful tribute for Linda
*thin, delicate lines of Vano contrast well with the black and shaded white spaces
*fabulous string line of 2-n-5 with inter-woven aura


From Portia Hyde~

Looking at it this way reminds me of a kimono.


Tangled Tidbits -
*arced layers of beautiful tangles
*shaded patterns and spaces
*the tangles alternate along the arcs with just the perfect touch of black

From Deb Jacobs ~
...Thanks for the challenge. Simple string...3 new patterns. I used zin & vano & verve. I found verve a while back on Tangle patterns & just love using it on black tiles. Happy Friday to you!! 

And she followed up with this ~
 I loved this challenge so much that I had to do a second go round! Although truly I must confess that in the wee hours of the morning, when Mr. Sandman is nowhere to be seen, i've found that doing some tangles is a remarkable way to clear my mind! Tangling, I've found is a remarkable cure for post-dental surgery discomfort. Happy weekend to you!!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*a treat to see both black and white tiles and with different orientations for the string
*a pop of purple for Vano
*fun finishes for the border lines


A very warm welcome to Linda Fristoe~
My first entry for It's a String Thing! I've only been tangling a few weeks, but I'm in love.
I struggle with grid-based tangles, and I know I need to practice, but I thought I'd use Vano as my underlying structure. How surprised I was when I stepped back and saw Tuxes and Ties and Ballroom Gowns!
Thank you for an opportunity to grow with tangling!
(I've looked thru some of your old challenges. I think I'll try to work thru some! )

Tangled Tidbits -
* that is a treat of an image - makes me here wonderful music!
*great balance of black, white, and delicate lines

From Susan Szathmary~
I did this earlier today - I didn't quite have vano memorized do here is the result ...Also I only had one pen with me at the time -(and it's just about used up.) I like how it looks like an eye peeking through!
Tangled Tidbits ~
*sparkled lines and dots of 2-n-5
*a great eye overseeing the tangles :)
*lovely lines


From Jenny H. in Australia ~
I've been tangling for about four weeks and have finally begun to find the peace that four years of suffering from depression has taken away. I discovered your site yesterday and thought I would have a go at the challenge. I'm still learning. All of these tangles were new to me 12 hours ago!
A heartfelt thank you to you and the other tanglers whose generosity in sharing their knowledge and inspiration makes such a huge difference to the lives of people like me.

Tangled Tidbits ~
*your sharing makes a huge difference in our lives as well
*super shading, especially of 2-n-5
*nice concentration of black in the middle of the string*


From CZT Lucy Banta~
Greetings from California! Here's my tile this week, which I created on the plane ride across the USA. A little turbulence and shaky lines, but that's the glory of Zentangle--anything goes
Happy Mother's Day! And thank you for this tangle opportunity!

Tangled Tidbits - 
*a perf border
*a terrific tangleation of 2-n-5 complete with Knightsbridge
*sublime shading


From Michele Wynne ~
It's been a busy couple of weeks and I've missed some challenges so I'm happy to have finished this one.
I've come across Vano in other challenges and I seem to enjoy using it as a string. This was a fun challenge and very relaxing to draw.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*vibrant Vano variation
*rays of Zin
*nice light touch of 2-n-5


A very warm welcome to Becky Welty.  She dubbed her tile "Spring Day".


Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful ZIA of spring colors
*spiraled center of Vano
*uniform weight of the lines is very pretty


From Ingrid Coventon ~
Drawing this ST # 91 tile was really fun this week. I loved to do Vano. It went so smooth.
Happy Mother's Day to you and all tangling moms!
Tangled Tidbits -
*gorgeous gray spaces
*bold black Vano floats to the foreground
*Vano morphs with 2-n-5


From Jane Glotzer ~
Good Afternoon from a soggy Colorado...it's been raining for days and days and folks around here are starting to get nervous...in September 2013 we had a 1000 year major flood disaster! Snow is predicted for tomorrow, Mother's Day!!
String thing #91 was a quick study for me...I actually had my piece done by Thursdaynight, but somehow spaced out sending it in yesterday, so here I am in my usual Saturday afternoon slot--:)
I love Vano, and started there in the center...used a couple of separated out pieces of 2 in 5 to surround it...a touch of basic Zin and a little shading to finish. I considered turning it upside down from your original string because the Zin looked like a curtain with Vano peeking out, but in the end, I photographed it with the "V" right side up.
Sending wishes for a very happy mother's day to you and all the tangling mothers!


Tangled Tidbits -
*simple and elegant shaded and lined background of Vano
*curves of 2-n-5
*neat rows of Zin


From CZT Tabitha Bedoukian ~
Here's my contribution for this week's challenge. I liked it and wanted to do a second tile since I thought of more creative things to do, but predictably, life is too busy and I didn't get to it. :) I love pulling elements of a pattern into the other patterns, which I did with the circles with the dots in the middle from 2-in-5 into Vano and Zin. And Zin escaping the grid on it's own, because I have been wanting to try Footlights but keep forgetting! lol
Oh, and I LOVE your pantry!! Glorious surface. I, too, would have looked for a long time before deciding what to do with this canvas. 
It makes me happy to know you would have done the same!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*fabulous Footlight and Zin tanglation
*aura for the dots of 2-n-5
*sparkled center arc lines of Vano


From J L Johnson ~
Here is my response to this week's challenge.

Tangled Tidbits -
*triangular rays of Vano
*large and lovely patterns
*sparkled circles of 2-n-5

From Shayrn Penna ~
Happy Mother's day weekend and happy zeniversary to Linda Farmer at TanglePatterns!
I mashed together Zin and Vano. With 2N5 I turned an oops into a design ... It's crazy how mistakes blend into the tiles. At the peak of the triangle my spacing was off so I added large orbs to the blank squares and some Beadline to the lined squares ... there's a second minor oops that pretty much blends in. Such a great tangle mix. Cheers to all the moms! 

Tangled Tidbits -
*circular lines give a three dimensional look
*seamless blend of Zin and Vano
*beautiful shading and bravo for capitalizing on creative opportunities!


From Christina Luis - and here on her blog as well ~


Tangled Tidbits -
*doubled arcs for Vano - great idea!
*exaggerated spacing for 2-n-5
*smooth lines of Zin



From Felicity Strohfeldt ~
...Fabulous challenge that reminded me of my love for beautiful stain glassed windows in the world’s cathedrals. Inspired, I took to colouring Vano by Anneke and shaded Zin by Linda and 2-n-5 by Anita and they remind me of the strong, textured stone and masonry that forms the mountings for the beautiful stain glass art of the holy places. Hope you like it. I enjoyed doing it. On my blogYour pantry idea looks great. Sure you will return often to the other white surfaces so tantalizing in the purity.
As always, that was beautifully stated, Felicity...
Tangled Tidbits - 
*rays of glorious sunshine peeking through Vano
*2-n-5 radiating from a point
*lovely images from Felicity's description


From Cathy Cusson ~
This challenge was fun, but I really wish I hadn’t started with the color. But once I began, it was too late to back out.

Tangled Tidbits -
*a pretty colored ZIA
*cleverly blended 2-n-5 and Vano


From Susan Theron~
This was a fun challenge. Also on my blog.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*beautiful burst of Vano
*2-n-5 in Vano
*light and dark triangles of Zin


From Annie Taylor ~
Here in Spain, it is very hot and today has been our little village 'fiesta'. All the village gathers together and eats in the square. And afterwards there are games and competitions for the children and then dancing til the early hours.
I did find time to do this week's challenge though. It was relaxing to do but I didn't find it very inspiring - a bit spiky and triangular for my taste. However, it's important to remember VE Day in some way and Zentangle is a good way to do it.
Thanks so much for the challenge. I am sure there will be some very inspired versions.

Tangled Tidbits -
*"spiky and triangular" are softened with shading and curves
*terrific tipple
*curved lines for 2-n-5


From HeidiSue ~
This was a fun challenge, because two of the tangles suggested were completely new to me (Vano and Zin) while 2 n 5 is one I've practiced but not used much. I ended up using Zin and 5N2, but I know Vano will be a good one to put in a circular themed piece.
The V in the middle of this string cried out for a 3-D treatment, and when I was done shading the little triangular elements, the idea for making my 2N5 came to me. Looking at it, the piece kind of reminds me of a sporting event at a high school. You have the lockers, and maybe the school emblem? I wonder what their colors would be! ha!

Tangled Tidbits -
*great analogy!
*wonderful curves for Zin
*weighted lines of the inner triangles of Zin add depth 


From CZT Brenda Urbanik ~
I found a bit of time to play so here is my tile and my blog link.
Tangled Tidbits -
*welcome back Brenda!
*fabulous curves
*pretty perpendicular lines for Vano



And now, the tile for honors this week was sent in by
Sandra from Germany!


With "many greetings from Germany", Sandra writes ~
...many thanks for that wonderful challenge! When I started I had a certain idea but in the end the tile looked totally different ;-) It was a great fun to tangle it!
And I really love the pattern Vano that I didn't know before :-)
In my blog... 

Tangled Tidbits -
*and amphitheater of vibrant tangles
*radiating circular pattern grids
*sensational shading  


Congratulations, Sandra! I have a little something coming in the mail for you.



Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles we used with my string~

Zin by CZT Linda Farmer
2-n-5 by CZT Anita Roby-Lavery
Vano by Anneke Sieben


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #92!























2 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so happy that you chose my tile :-) Thank you very much!!! All the tiles are so beautiful, it was a wonderful challenge :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This group of artists is phenomenal. I'm learning so much and so amazed at what comes from their creative minds! Sarah.

    ReplyDelete