Monday, January 9, 2017

"It's a String Thing" #178 Tiles

Our new year is off to a roaring start with this week's lovely tiles.  As you read on, look for:
4 new tanglers to welcome
1 new country represented on our tangled map
43 creative interpretations of the string and tangles
5 tiles photographed on Tickled to Tangle frames.
(Whew!)

We paired a curvy string line with one flowing tangle and two square grid based ones.   Let's take a look ~


The first arrived from Amy Barnickel (Florida) ~
...My resolution is to tangle at least once a day for all of 2017! So far, so good.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*little clusters of MySwing accented with curlicues
*diagonal divide between Zonked and Panthe


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario) ~
... nice to be back to my normal routine and doing your challenges. I had just used My Swing recently but the other two were new to me.
Tangled Tidbits -
*rounded edges of MySwing
*very detailed grid of Panthe


From Katrina Handson (Florida) ~
Hi hope your all having a wonderful new year. Thanks Adele for doing these challenges I really look forward to them when I get the opportunity to do them :) wish i kept up better. This weeks was nice and I liked that there were two grid patterns. Its fun to transition between grids these ones made me a little dizzy ^_^ zonked is definitely a favorite tangle of mine even though i haven't quite got it down yet :)
Tangled Tidbits -
*curved grid lines for Panthe and Zonked
*colorful MySwing


From Shirley (Queensland, Australia) ~
... I have attached my drawing for ‘It’s A String Thing #178’ I love the tangle ‘My Swing’ I did have a couple of practice runs before I got it, but it is lots of fun to draw...


Tangled Tidbits -
*graceful lines of MySwing
*Panthe and Zonked share the same grid



From Jutta Gladnigg (NWR, Germany) ~
Greetings from Germany!
Tangled Tidbits -
*long graceful MySwing lines
*larger grid for Zonked and beautiful shading


From Renee (Tennessee) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Zonked shares Panthe double grid lines
*MySpace curve flows from the grid


From Hilary Merola (Chicago, Illinois) ~
Another fun challenge! At least I had fun doing this. Both My Swing and Panthe are new ones for me. I've always liked Zonked—even with my wonky lines, I think it's such a cool pattern.
Tangled Tidbits -
*doubled string line with two clusters of MySwing
*finely detailed Zonked


From Barbara Steyer (Germany) ~
with your blog and your proposed strings and tangles I have so much fun and feel so inspired, that I tried a second one: My favorite is indeed #MySwing, but #zonked and #panthe -both new to me-, will be drawn again.
Tangled Tidbits -
*black perfs accent a multi-layered MySwing
*angled grid for Zonked and single lined grid for Panthe


From Henrike Bratz (Germany) ~
The string given together with the patterns “myswing” and two gridbased patterns, I expected my tile to become quite similar to Simone’s first tile when she discovered the pattern “myswing”. But I thought “OK, why not? There’s noting bad about that!” and just started to draw “myswing” along the string......... And look what happend. I ended up with a monotangle! There was just no space left for any other pattern – just “myswing”, some bubbly cicles an BLACK! It was quite surprising and stunning. But I’m absolutely happy with it. Especially because what I created looks so much like something organic, almost like a creature, perfectly balanced. This was another Zen-Zentangle-experience.
Yesterday night the was a stormtide along the shore of the Baltic Sea, but everybody was well prepared an nothing bad happend. I’m sure this was nothing like the hurricanes you have to suffer in Florida, though.
Today was sunny and cold.So – from a frosty Germany...
Tangled Tidbits -
*striking monotangle
*deep black accentuates the elegant MySwing


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*sparkled aura of MySwing
*softly penciled Panthe variation


From Karen Aiken (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
I’m so happy that I could participate in your challenge this week.
I had a bit of trouble with MySwing, but it is a lovely tangle and I am really looking forward to seeing how everyone else drew it combined with the other challenge tangles.
Tangled Tidbits -
*Printemps incorporated into MySwing
*just a touch of Panthe and Zonked with and shaded white space


From Karen (Canberra, Australia) - the Creative Miss L and here on her blog ~
Here’s the best of my two tiles. Looking forward to another year of interesting and challenging challenges from you.
Tangled Tidbits -
*single row of Zonked between sections of Panthe
*multiple perfs fill MySwing


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
Happy New Year Everyone!
Tangled Tidbits -
*doubled string line with bursts of MySwing
*tangles change along the rows of the curved grid - great details.


From CZT Jody Genovese (New York) ~
I am vacationing in Arizona so I thought only appropriate to photograph my tile with a stucco background and a gecko!
Tangled Tidbits -
...how fun!
*aura-ed MySwing
*Zonked shaded on either side of the darkened curves


From Sabine (Germany) ~
I wish you and your family a happy and peacefull 2017 and I'm looking forward to the IAST-challenges this year. Thank you for a every week interesting and fun challenge.
Here is my entry for this week. All patterns are new to me, but they are so lovely and I had a lot of fun while drawing. With greetings from an icecold, but today sunny Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
*rounded Zonked with large dark centers
*long lines and soft shading for MySwing


From Beth Gaughan (North Carolina) ~
Happy New Year to you and your family. Thank you for your continued weekly challenges!

Tangled Tidbits -
*large background grid and patterns change on either side of the string line
*rounded Zonked



From Miriam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~
Happy New Year!
This string was great fun to work with - the flow reminded me of the ups and downs we all face in our lives, knowing that for every dip will be a peak not far behind. ('Zonked' reminded me of hammered copper tiles, so I just had to add some color!) Looking forward with hope to 2017, and to the IAST inspirations you so graciously provide.

Tangled Tidbits -
*wonderful analogy, thank you!
*highlights, aura, and a touch of color
*touches of deep black repeats in all three tangles


From Lori Byerly (Washington State) and here on her blog ~
Your challenge is a lovely start to a new year. Thanks so much for giving us the opportunity to try new patterns and revisit old ones.
Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed perfs and elegant curls added to MySwing
*angled grid of Panthe flows into a single Zonked



From Kate (United Kingdom) ~
My contribution to the first challenge of 2017 - I hope this New Year
brings you and your family - and those in your extended 'Zentangle
family' - much happiness! 

Tangled Tidbits - 
*curves, curves, and more wonderful curves
*Zonked shaded at the intersecting grid lines


A very warm welcome to Judy O (Concord, Ohio) ~
Thanks so much for all you do in setting up these challenges! I've been enjoying and learning a lot from seeing everyone's tiles each week, so decided that the beginning of the new year was a good time to finally send in a tile!     
Tangled Tidbits - 
*shaded perfs and centers of Panthe
*white space compliments the tangles

And now Judy joins our tangled map, welcome!



From Talia Maynard (United Kingdom) ~
I really enjoyed learning Myswing for this tile. I'm not sure I got it completely right but its certainly a fun one to draw and shade. Panthe is totally up my alley as well. I like a good architectural grid-based tangle to contradict an organic one within the same tile.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Panthe grid flows through the entire background
*softly shaded MySwing


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
I’m totally unhappy with my Zonked - I succeeded much more with this pattern. Unfortunately I haven’t the time to do the tile again. Nevertheless I’m participating at IAST#178 - there are no mistakes :-)
Myswing was new to me and I think I drew it too round but I like it. It is sliding down a Panthe-stair.Love from frosty Switzerland
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Panthe - layered shading, angles for steps
*swirls of MySwing and Perfs popping to the foreground


A very warm welcome to Ria Matheussen (Belgium) and here on her website ~
Thank you for this lovely challenge. I like the patterns very much and I hope to join more challenges in the future.
I wish you a happy 2017.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*grid of Zonked and Panthe interspersed with black and white spaces
*colorful MySwing with aura and shading
Ria is our first contributor from Belgium and now her name and 'banner' are on our tangled map, welcome!



From Karin (Germany) ~
this is my entry to the first challenge of the year.
I really enjoyed it. “MySwing” was not as easy as it looked like. I needed a few times but I like the result!Greeting from Germany!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Panthe on a diagonal grid with dark centers and shading
*roundness of MySwing reflected in Zonked


From Judy Wanner, CZT (Pennsylvania) ~
I absolutely love My Swing and thought it would be an easy tackle. Geesh, I struggled with the small curvy string and the curves seemed to go every which way....sort of like my aging body!
Anyway it feels so great, finally, to take much needed time for myself and get back to tangling. I look forward to seeing IAST results....always a fun learning experience.
Tangled Tidbits - 
*just a peek at Zonked
*dark, sparkled aura and a spray of aura for MySwing



From sra (India) ~
Hope your new year has begun well. Here's my entry for the latest challenge. I simply couldn't get my head around MySwing so what you have is half of it here.Thanks for hosting!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*curved black centers of Zonked compliment the square ones of Panthe
*dainty touch of MySwing


A very warm welcome to Marle (Germany) with a link to her blog ~
Thank you for your challenge!
I#m a beginner with Zantangle, but it's so much fun to me and I tried to draw a tangle for IAST #178.
It was a little bit difficult for me, three new pattern and MySwing wasn't easy. Beginning to draw with a string is hard for me. Usual I begin with a pattern on whatever point and let my tangle grow spontaneously.
The completed tile isn't very good I think, but Hubby like it and wants me to send it to you. Many greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
...this is VERY good - so happy you joined in!
*large grid for Zonked and smaller for Panthe
*MySwing with sparkled perfs is shaded along the weighted string line

Marle is now on our tangled map, welcome!



From Lin H (Florida) ~
Thanks for your latest challenge. MySwing took a bit of practicing to get down but I've ended up really liking it. I wish I had seen your tips for tangling the pattern before I had finished my tile but they will certainly help the next time I use it!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*Zonked in a Panthe grid!
*MySwing shaded along the outer edges



From Linda G (Pennsylvania) ~
I am happy to be back tangling. I loved working with all three but Myswing was my favorite. Happy 2017 everyone😊
Tangled Tidbits -
*flowing, aura-ed MySwing
*larger black centers of Zonked


From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) ~
...what a wonderful challenge, all three patterns were new for me :-) I Didn't have as much time to play with them as I would have liked to before doing my tile but I will certainly practice more with them, they are all very beautiful and relaxing.
Thanks again for a great challenge!Greetings from Canada :-)
Tangled Tidbits -
*colorful tangles, perfs of MySwing glow
*MySwing breaks from the string line


From Tina Kirchhübel (Germany) and here on her blog ~
First of all a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your family.
This week I absolutely wanted to do the challenge. Simone Menzel who created MySwing lives only 30 km away from me so I have a special connection to her although I didn't met her personal yet.
I really enjoyed drawing MySwing and think I will use it more often for future tiles.Greetings from Germany
Tangled Tidbits -
...that is a wonderful connection.
*Printemps perfs for MySwing - similar to Karen Aiken (Canada) above
*pretty weighted lines of Zonked accented with shading along the grid lines


From Jane Glotzer (Boulder, Colorado) ~
...My #178 looks pretty typical for me--:) I did just a touch of MySwing and then used mostly Zonked, on the bottom half of the string, turning it into a bit of Panthe at the top and then keeping the rest blank...I started to add the weighted lines to my Zonked, but my auras weren't curved enough, so I decided to give that up...(you can see where I started in the corners...) Love how the sections of Zonked turned into petals!
Tangled Tidbits -
*a light touch of tangles with soft shading
*tangles to one side of the string line and white space on the other


A very warm welcome to Sharon Fite (California) ~
I'm a first-time contributor. Love your site!
This was a challenge for me -- to combine the grid patterns with My Swing. But that's the fun, right? Zonked is so graphic, I toned it down with a warm gray Copic pen.Cheers from not so sunny California!
Tangled Tidbits -
*Perf lined string
*layers of lovely shaded aura

And now Sharon is added to our tangled map, welcome!





 From Jonesy (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
...This is my tile for the week. Eni Oken has awakened my interest in metallic watercolors, so this is my first go with them. They shimmer so much that it actually looks like there are white flecks in the shaded areas, but no. That's just a pearlescent color that demands to be seen. Can't wait for more time to play with them.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a beautiful effect, for sure
*great contrast between the gray toned background of tangles and the metallic MySwing


From Audrie Weisenfelder (Tucson, Arizona) and here on her blog ~
Back to the last minute again; as I struggled quite a bit with this one. Had problems trying to get the tangles to play nicely with each other. Until I decided to do it on a gray tile, with My Swing in white as the centerpiece. Then added the other grid-based, more geometric patterns in black and gray, Hollibaugh style. That seemed to make it work, more or less.
Tangled Tidbits -
*a frame of Panthe and Zonked variations
*flowing lines of MySwing and lovely highlights


From Gesine (Germany) ~
...First time since weeks that a finished a IAST challenge again – and MySwing was a real challenge for me. Still, I’m now quite happy with the outcome, although I broke a Zentangle rule and made MySwing kind of “semi-transparent”.
Tangled Tidbits -
*framed border of alternating Panthe and Zonked
*gem like perfs for a colorful MySwing


From Heather Temple (Killingworth, Connecticut) ~
Here is my submission for IAST #178 from snowy (7" and counting) Killingworth CT. Working on other projects and decided to take a break and try your challenge. At 2am this morning, this is what happened to Zonked. I'm pretty sure this is a completely different pattern. Looking at it this afternoon I figured out what I did but as they say... no mistakes! Thanks again for the work you must put into this every week. Love to see what everyone comes up with. So, better late than never, here's my wacky tile!
Tangled Tidbits -
...'wacky' and wonderful!  I am sure you are in good company with this crowd when you say you tangle at 2 am :)
*deep dark filler for MySwing
*layered shading of Panthe


From Donna (Wisconsin) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*one large Panthe to center the tile
*dotted Zonked variation


From Sharyn Penna (Massachusetts) ~
My second attempt to send this ... lots of distractions ... I may have hit send in mid message.
So glad you gave us a Tips To Tangle MyString ... I love this pattern! I mashed together Panthe and Zonked ... they make a cozy quilt. If I were to redo this tile i would change the shading and the angle of the "quilt". But enough of that ...Was this your 50th original string on IAST? Congratulations and cheers on such a milestone!
Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for keeping the stats, Sharyn.  I am grateful to you.
*fabulous backdrop "mash"
*billowing MySwing finished with a string of Perfs


From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Happy new year to you and all my fellow tanglers.
Tangled Tidbits -
*shared grid for Zonked and Panthe with lighter MySpace between them
*soft and even shading


From Brenda Urbanik, CZT (Brenton-On-Sea, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
...Wishing you and your family a superb 2017!!! Continue to motivate us to tangle with your weekly challenges! I enjoyed putting pen to paper and relaxing my mind, even if only for an hour!
Tangled Tidbits -
*curvy Zonked on a curved grid compliments MySwing's curves
*touch of angular Panthe


This is my tile ~
I got so lost in the tangling of this, that when I finally looked up and held my tile at arm's length, it struck me that I drew a manatee, or two :)  The pudgy lines of MySwing look like the creatures that live in our Florida waters.  I added a few detail lines and dots to convince myself I didn't need to feed them any greenery and this was the result...

I realized, too, that I turned the tile upside down.  I had a good laugh and thoroughly enjoyed the time spent drawing this.


And now...

the tile for honors this week...

was sent in by...

non other than Simone Menzel, CZT (Germany), the creator of MySwing and here on her blog ~
What a surprise, that you chose MySwing for this week`s IAST challenge! I am so excited and I can`t wait to see all the other contributions next week.
The combination with the two other tangles Zonked (by Barbara Finwall) and Panthe (by Nancy Newlin) is beautiful as the straight lines give a good contrast to the swings.
Thank you so much Adele, for this challenge. I am so proud that you chose MySwing!
I am so grateful for this experience.My best wishes for a nice weekend, many greetings from the winterly, chilly Dresden!
Tangled Tidbits-
*graceful long lines of MySwing cradle the perfs
*shading and black surround add to the dimensional look of them
*alternating sections of Panthe and Zonked
*squared and diagonal grids of Panthe
*large and smaller grids of Zonked

Congratulations, Simone!

I have a little some thing coming in the mail for you.

Thank you for the continued New Year best wishes.  From myself and my family, I wish you all the very best in 2017 - joy, peace, and an abundance of love.

Thank you too, for sending in your beautiful tiles for all of us to appreciate and learn from.

A special thank you to the creative minds behind the tangles used with my string this week:

MySwing by Simone Menzel, CZT

Zonked by Barbara Finwall

Panthe by Nancy Newlin


Check back Tuesday afternoon for "It's a String Thing" #179!















3 comments:

  1. Dear Adele,
    so many wonderful tiles! I'm lucky to see them and learn about them.
    Adele,thank you so much four your kindly words about my tangle and I'm happy to be on your map.
    Sorry, I forgot in my mail, happy and healthy new year for you and your beloved!
    Greetings from Germany
    Marle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to welcome you to this tangled community. A very happy and healthy New Year to you and yours too!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the round-up - Sra

    ReplyDelete