Wednesday, February 14, 2018

"It's a String Thing" #229 Tiles

Happy Wednesday!

Happy St. Valentine's Day! 

These tiles are sure to fill your heart with love and joy. 
As an added treat, in a random drawing, one lucky tangler will win a copy of "Love Shackz", my newest eBook written with Dorian Eng, CZT.
The winner will be announced at the end of the post.

Let's take a look ~

The first tile arrived from Ulrike D. (Germany) ~
What a beautiful string and tangles
for Valentine´s Day! I had a lot fun.
Thanks for this challenge, Adele.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple bubbles over deep, dark background
*one large Olluan softly shaded


From Jane Rhea (Indiana) ~
This was such a fun challenge! Oscar Hammerstein said, “The love in your heart isn’t put there to stay. Love isn’t love ‘til you give it away.” Thank you, Adele, for sharing your love of tangling week after week, and for giving a part of that love to all of us!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for those sweet words, Jane - and I love that saying.
*Tipple filled Olluan - notice how the orbs move from small to large to small and the shading accents them
*Caught hearts shaded on all sides



From Gabriela Garcia (Alberta, Canada) and here on her blog ~
Hello everyone, I am so glad to be back. I have missed several challenges, I was busy with many things, one of them adding my other blog into my CraftyGirl’s website…but finally I had some peace and time to draw. When I saw Adele’s string and the pattern “Tipple”, I thought of drawing something along the lines of “Abundies” one of my favorite tangles. Almost as if the heart just opened letting little seeds of love, joy and hope to come out. So I leave you with that idea…May your heart be full of seeds of joy, hope and love and may you spread them all around you…and of course, May you receive these seeds from others as well…Many Blessings, Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!
 Tangled Tidbits -
That is so sweet!
*floating pretty pearls of Tipple
*blossoming Olluan corners


From Lisette (Switzerland) ~
As I know Tina Hunziker personally it was really a pleasure for me to draw Olluan (pattern by Tina). I added some Tamisolo (by Hanny Waldburger). These two tangles match so well. Thank you, Adele, for this new challenge.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Please tell Tina thank you and that we all enjoy her tangle :)
*beautiful Caught border and inside embellishment of Olluan
*heart tipped curls of Olluan


From Lily (Hungary) ~
Here is my response for your weekly challenge.
Happy Valentine's Day!
Zenhug:
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely aura and added dots for Caught
*Tipple, white on black, shading - so many beautiful touches


From Shirley Wohlsen (Queensland, Australia) ~
Attached is my Tile for ‘It’s A String Thing #229’ challenge.
Fabulous tangles.
Happy Valentine Day! Everyone.
 Tangled Tidbits -
* Tipple accentuates Olluan and the string
*Olluan shines with curved aura and shading


From Ria Matheussen, CZT (Belgium) ~
This time, I decided to create a few "stacked" tiles. I started to draw the lovely heartstring on a small grey tile and glued it on a bigger black one, followed by a grey and finished with another black one.
I enjoyed this "Valentinechallenge" very much and wish you a wonderful day on the 14 th.
Thank you for all your efforts and I send you warm regards from Belgium
 Tangled Tidbits -
*beautiful composition and layering of paper
*colorful, highlighted heart and sweet tangle accents



From Hilary (Chicago) ~
Greetings from snowy Chicago and Happy Valentine's Day!
Here's this week's endeavor. I used pre-colored paper and for the border I used a variation. I wanted it to be a combination of Caught and Olluan.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Olluan tucked into Caught - how fun!
*glowing highlighted Tipple


From VenaC (Whitby, Ontario, Canada) ~
Winter wonderland again and more snow in the forecast. I just had to have some colour in my tile. Valentine's and Easter goodies are appearing in the shops and even gardening things! Last week the groundhog said six weeks 'til spring so now it is five. Can't wait. I wish everybody lots of flowers and chocolates for Valentine's Day and, of course, lots of fun.
 Tangled Tidbits -
Stay warm while you wait!
*light, dark, and pink Tipple
*elegant curls and soft shading abound


From Lin H. (Florida) ~
Happy Valentine’s Day, Adele! Thanks for your challenge with Olluan. I love the heart tangle patterns this time of year.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*pink accented Caught shaded along the string line
*sparkle and stripes for Olluan


From Susie (St. Louis, Missouri) ~
Happy Valentines Day to you sweet tanglers all over the world. ✌️♥️

Tangled Tidbits - 
*background filled with Tipple
*red shading for Caught and the string line


From Susan Theron (Velddrif, South Africa) ~
Tangled Tidbits -
*Olluan cluster layered atop the tangles
*colorfully accented Caught


From Mariam G. (Port Hueneme, California) ~
First, I want to offer a big ‘Thank you’ to both you and Dorian Eng for creating the 'Love Shackz' e-book. What a great idea, not only for Valentine’s Day, but also anytime for you want to show someone 'the love'. (One of these darling little houses would be a fun addition to celebrate my parents’ upcoming 76th anniversary, don’t you agree? J)

And the challenge for this week goes hand in hand with that thought. The string is perfect and I loved working on this tile. Cannot wait to see all the beautiful entries!
Have a wonderful weekend!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you for the kind compliments on our eBook.  Most of all, hearty congratulations to your parents, what a blessing to share married life for so many years.
*striking light and dark contrasts
*pops of sparkling red, shading, and highlights - wonderful details


From Donna Matoi (Long Beach, California) ~
Here is my tile for this week's challenge IAST #229. I was just learning this pattern a few days before your post! I love the pattern! I just love hearts in general! Well, I had a hard time figuring out what to do, but, once I got started, the zen flowed! I appreciate your tip sheet on how to draw "caught", that helped!
I enjoyed looking at all of last weeks tiles! It is just amazing what happens with a pattern! I also wanted to let you know that I purchased your Love Shackz ebook! OMG, I thought the Christmas book was wonderful, but this is like icing on top of the cake! You and Dorian did a fantastic job! So much detail and very easy to understand directions! Thank you for the wonderful material! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!
Have a great week! And thank you for all you do!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Thank you so much for the sweet compliments, Donna.  I am so glad you are enjoying the book.
*doubled string line frames oodles of Olluan
*colorful Caught background


From Laurel Davis, CZT (New York) ~
What a great February challenge! I’ve given myself my own “Valentangle” challenge and have been drawing lots of hearts, so this fit in perfectly. Thanks, Adele.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*lovely layered Olluan along the string line
*pretty variation of Caught - dotted lines, weighted aura, shading...and one red heart
*Tipple shaded 'just so'


A very warm welcome to Lisa (Oklahoma) ~
Here is my tile for Challenge 229. I’ve loved drawing for a long time, but have just recently discovered Zentangle! I was very excited to come across your website!! I added a few extra tangles including shard and luv-a, as well as a few bead strings and fescue.
 Tangled Tidbits -
So glad you found it, too!
*fabulous sense of movement with swirled grid of Caught
*wonderful Luv-a/Olluan combination

Welcome to our Tangled Map and to our IAST community, Lisa.



From Margarete Gilge (Germany) ~
I enjoyed to draw your Valentine challenge. I used your given patterns and my own pattern Herzlich. You can find the instructions for Herzlich on my blog under the link:
 https://malerisches-franken.blogspot.de/2018/02/woche-6-weekly-challenges.html.
Thank you for this wonderful challenge!
Best wishes from Germany and a happy Valentinesday
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Herzlich and Olluan are very complimentary - and beautiful
*straight and fanned grid for Caught



From Jutta Gladnigg, CZT (NRW, Germany) ~
What a great Valentine challenge this time! I wanted to make it 3D. True Love goes deep into one‘s heart...
 Tangled Tidbits -
*aura-ed Olluan filled with Tipple and super shading
*embellished hearts of Caught



From Lynn G (Florida) ~
Thanks for the hearty challenge ❤️
 Tangled Tidbits -
*cute Caught corners
*Olluan accents and lovely white Tipple


From Trudi (Woodview, Ontario, Canada) ~
A fun Challenge Adele :).
Thanks so much for your efforts.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*black and red grids of Caught
*Olluan filled string


From HeidiSue (Salt Lake City, Utah) ~
I sure had fun with this challenge. Fun string and patterns. Thanks for putting it out there 🙂

Tangled Tidbits -
*Caught grid curves with the string curves
*weighted, sparkled lines of Caught



From Ingrid (The Netherlands) ~
Happy Valentine

In the attachment my Valentine tile #229 for this week. Loved to play with colors this time to pimp up my tile.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*Tipple-d (is that a term?!) string lines filled with colorful Caught
*Olluan floats upward


From Susan (United Kingdom) ~
My first attempt at scanning my drawing not taking a wonky photo. Happy Valentines everyone.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*red and black flip flop on pretty Caught variation
*Olluan, Tipple, and heart filled string


From Karen Herstowski (Atlanta, Georgia) ~
Another great combination. A bunch of seasonal fun - love the hearts.
On the center focus large heart I eliminated one of the coils that I just couldn’t get to compliment the design of the other heart “flow”.
Thanks to all who participated in layout of this.
 Tangled Tidbits -
*fabulously filled string - color, shading, sparkle, pizazz!
*curvy grid and roundness of Caught


From Sue Agnew (Tucson, Arizona) ~
This was a fun week! I had guessed that it was going to be "valentine week" and I enjoyed the tangles you chose.
Just last Thursday I went to a demonstration of etegami, which is a Japanese postcard art form, simple and quick. Its motto translates "It’s okay to be awkward. Awkwardness has charm." You use a bamboo brush but dangle it from the end so you CAN'T control it, and the subject matter is simple objects and it often is placed off the edge of the paper. SO I moved the string to the side in an etegami-like way. Also I wanted to use Caught in my "comfort zone" way of putting it in the background (rather than distorting it to fill a string space) and wanted it to show up a little more. I think I've said before that it reminds me of the linoleum pattern at my grandmother's house, so I like to use it. For Olluan, because I know it's your "thing," I drew it in a continuous stroke rather than drawing a heart and going back and putting in the extra spirals. So I never knew exactly how it was going to look (or whether I was going to go the correct direction). I'm glad you pointed out to check out Margaret Bremner's notes on Tipple ... they were thorough and inspiring. I tried a couple of things, filling it with a pattern and the gravity thing. I've always liked puffy heart shapes. Years ago when I worked in a print shop, they needed a heart-shaped die to cut out a heart-shaped menu for a fancy restaurant in San Francisco, so I cut a heart shape and the guys complained that it was too puffy. I'm not sure that hearts CAN be too puffy!
Thanks for another fun week! Happy Valentine's Day!
 Tangled Tidbits -
Ah, Sue, I love to read your descriptions and stories, thank you for your thorough note.
*Caught - neat and even and lightly shaded
*Olluan string line tipped with lovely lanterns - moved slightly to the side (great touch!)


From Sharon Fite (California) ~
Happy St. Valentine's Day to all! I can't say no to a heart string and fun tangles! I added a bit of fringe. This was tangled on Fabriano Medioevalis foldover square cards. Cards fold to 4 3/4" square, and you can get matching envelopes. I ordered mine from Dick Blick. They are a different finish than our tiles, but microns work very well on them. Now, who shall I send it to?
 Tangled Tidbits -
When the words Fabriano and paper are together, I know I have to order some.  Thank you for the tip.
*radiantly trimmed string line
*pretty Caught spiral and puffy Olluan (Sue would like those :)


From Jody Genovese, CZT (New York) ~
Wishing you and all of our fellow tanglers a very Happy Valentine’s Day!


Tangled Tidbits -
*ruby red centers and delightfully detailed spirals of Olluan
*weighted string line curls and wonderful shading


From Dolly Bolen CZT (Morinville, Alberta, Canada) ~
I am happy that I had time to participate in your IAST#229 challenge, love your
challenge for #229! I had not tried the tangles Caught or Olluan before but I thoroughly
enjoyed giving them both a try! I have to admit my tile started to go awry, I didn’t like
the direction it was going at all but true to the Zentangle way, I kept going and my
finished Zendala turned out better than what I ever thought it would be. I gave it a title
“Owl Will Always Love You” because in the end I thought it resembled an Owl, which just appeared in the design, it was not planned at all. Bling is my thing so I dressed up the Owl in sparkles and I added a tangle named Love Script I created last year around this time while doing ValenTangle 2017. Tipple also borders Caught and Love Script. I had so much fun with this after I started to enjoy the process! Sending love to you and all the other tanglers out there this Valentines week! I look forward to all the LOVEly creations from all over the world!
Tangled Tidbits - 
That was a fabulous tribute to tangling - as is your tile.
*Caught grid lines flow with the string lines
*highlights and sparkle



From Pat Kennedy (Washington State) ~
Enjoyed the challenge Adele!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*gorgeous shades of red accent the tangles
*Caught reaches to the edges of the tile making the black diamonds blend into the frame



From Felicity Strohfeldt (Velddrif, South Africa) and here on her blog ~
...This week’s challenge was a beauty. When I saw the string for the first time and the patterns, Olluan, Caught and trusty Tipple teamed up together my version of tile 229 popped into my head as if by magic. This week I can truly say it all just happened when I sat down with my blank tile and pens. A wonderful experience. Thank you for a lovely Valentine’s challenge and also Tina, Christine, Rick and Maria for the, beautiful and harmonious zentangle patterns.
Happy week to all who participate
Tangled Tidbits - 
*delightful dimension achieved with Olluan and shading in the doubled string line
*beautiful field of Caught
Felicity's Olluan pours from the string curl - much like rain would fall from a cloud.  Felicity has written several times about how her homeland is suffering from a terrible drought.  Please keep her and all the people of South Africa in your prayers as they pray for rain.


From Sharyn Penna, CZT (Massachusetts) ~
Cheers to a perfect string to hold orbs ... Tipple is one of my favorite tangles. I got “caught” with the background ... I combined Caught with Olluan and should have left well enough alone ... adding color was that step too far. I broke out of my comfort zone using color ... discovered it just makes this tile too busy ... it distracts and makes the eye work too hard to find a focal point. Can’t wait to see all the prompt interpretations!!
💕 Happy Valentine’s Day 💕one and all!
Tangled Tidbits - 
*fanned grid and weighted lines of Caught - and the color is lovely!
*tremendous Tipple filled string lines complete with shading and sparkle, light and dark
(That is the fifth tile photographed on a Tickled to Tangle frame, thank you all!)


This is my tile ~
After doubling the lines of the Olluan inspired string, I thought it would look intriguing to have the Caught grid curve up and over as it passed the string. After adding the second grid lines to the lower portion, I decided to leave the upper sections a bit lighter to avoid getting too busy. Shading definitely helped.




And now...

the winner of the random drawing for the new eBook, Love Shackz...

is...

Jane Rhea from Indiana.



Congratulations, Jane!   I do hope you enjoy our labor of love.

Have a happy day and remember that everyone is a Valentine on this great day!


Many thanks to the creative minds behind the tangles we used this week ~

Olluan by Tina Hunziker, CZT

Caught by Christine Reyes

Tipple  - by Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas

Thank you all for celebrating this love we share for tangling.

Click here for the details of this week's IAST #230 

and be sure to check back tomorrow for my
Tips for Tangling Funsin.












No comments:

Post a Comment